Friday, May 8, 2009

Rocket















So it's been a very long time since I've posted anything on here. I apologize. Cara and I have been very busy with work, school, and the hub-bub of making a short film.

This time around we shot on actual film and it really made a difference I think. Super 16mm has come a long way in the last few years with a process called digital intermediate. You get the resolution of HD, but the look of film. Cost wise it's not too friendly, our budget for Grandma Shoes was around $200. This was ten times that, around $2,000. But don't worry, we got by with a little help from our friends. At SDSU they have for set aside for advanced students who shoot film and I'm expecting one in my name to arrive soon. And, in addition to being my Director of Photography (pictured below) Peter Lindsey and his wife Autumn Lindsey (hair and make up) came on as Associate producers. Noel and Beth also pitched in and pretty much payed for all the food on set, which earned them a "special thanks" in the credits. All in all it was well worth the effort.

This film is called Rocket, it's about a woman who finds the courage to leave a toxic, verbally abusive relationship at the risk of losing her nine year old son in the process. Shooting it was a very emotional process for me and one I will never forget. Kali Kirk (pictured) was our lead actress and offered us a very honest and heartfelt performance. She will be attending a one year intensive at NYU conservatory in the coming months. (I'm glad we got her while she was still in town!)



Our other lead actor was Joe Cipriani (at the head of the table), a member of the Screen Actors Guild and a former pro hockey player. Joe added so much realism and intensity to the role- he was very serious about understanding his character. He drove down from LA to play the part and really ended up being a great casting choice for us. Noah Johnson, (left) was a great find as well. He had been in plays on stage at The Old Globe in San Diego and other venues but didn't have any film experience. He was just outstanding.

The best directing experience I've ever had. It was a privilage to be working alongside people who could do so much better than I could on my own. Peter Lindsey (left) was my DP and he did a great job. He was able to try things and be expressive and creative. Cara also did the best work on as a production designer to date. The sets were very authentic, even the actors said that the house felt eerily like the characters actually lived there. She pushed for a 90s feel, and I wasn't buying it at first, but it came across very well.

That's all for now, I've got a lot to get done before the semester's over. I hope to report on some film festival showings in the near future, as Rocket is really coming together. It's dramatic and hopefully compelling. It's about hope and courage in the face of adversity. Hopefully people will be touched by it.

-Phil

1 comment:

Rory and Jen said...

Can't wait to see it. So proud of you both!