Thursday, February 21, 2008

"GRE, SCHMEE-ARE-EE"


Just got out of the testing cubicle in San Jose and I'm exhausted and relieved. I just took the GRE, which is required of San Diego State film school applicants. They require a 450 on the verbal and a 4 on the writing- nothing an average college grad can't do- right? So I found out right away that my score on the verbal was 470 and 530 on the quantitative. They're passable. I'm waiting on the written score.

Really, if I have a problem I've got my prep to thank for it. Here it is: the night before the test I go to the library and get a 400 page book about the GRE, make some flashcards, and read it until about 4am. I wake up at 9am (get about 5 hours of sleep) drive cara to her morning class, get some food at McDonald's (I know) and go take the 3 1/2 hour test. HA! What a day!

I'm looking at it this way: if I had spent a week preparing and then gotten really great scores what's in it for me- really? I could pine over math and vocab, crazy words like aggrandize, inchoate, or quiescence and practice, practice, practice for weeks- get a 550 or even maybe a 600. Then I'd apply and get in. But that's the point, to get in. So if my measly 470 gets me in, I'm better off working on film stuff- right? Well that's my attitude anyway.

No comments: